Job title: Retail Associate – Green Goods
Classification: Nonexempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) (eligible for overtime)
Reports to: Store Manager
The sales associate embodies Zamzow’s mission to provide “service beyond customer expectations” by providing a customer friendly environment, including greeting and acknowledging every customer, maintaining outstanding standards, solid product knowledge and all other components of customer service. Sales Associates work to determine customer needs and share product knowledge to suggest the appropriate merchandise to make them successful, and by effectively employing suggestive selling techniques to increase individual sales.
- Create an environment that enables customers to feel welcome, important and appreciated by greeting and acknowledging every guest and answering questions regarding products.
- Directs customers by escorting them to products; helps customers make selections.
- Maintain an awareness of all product information, merchandise promotions, test merchandise and advertisements.
- Assist in floor moves, merchandising, display maintenance and store housekeeping to maintain the professional image and appearance of the store, to include sweeping/mopping the floors, dusting, washing the windows, facing the merchandise on the shelves, etc.
- Assist in processing and replenishing merchandise; participate in receiving and monitoring floor stock; ensure re-wraps are done promptly.
- Adhere to all company policies, procedures and practices, including signing, pricing, and loss prevention.
- Accurately and efficiently complete all sales transactions and maintain proper cash and media accountabilities at POS registers.
- Communicate customer requests to management.
- Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Specializes in selling plant material and products in the garden department of Zamzow’s.
Requires the following additional job duties:
- Potting, weeding, watering, fertilizing, pruning and keeping plants pest and disease free.
- Customer focus: Makes customers the first priority, actively seeks out customers, greets all customers, offers assistance; able to develop and maintain a strong return customer base
- Product knowledge: High level of knowledge of products, services, and procedures
- Problem solving: Seeks to fully understand the customers’ needs, provides customer with the best solution, contacts other associates/ leaders as needed until customer’s need is met
- Respect: treats customers in a sincere, appreciative manner
- Communication: Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, to effectively work with customers and employees
Required education and experience:
- High school diploma or GED
- 1-3 years of sales experience: assisting customers with purchases and using selling techniques (add-ons, upselling, etc.)
Preferred education and experience:
- Familiarity with Zamzow’s products
Additional qualifications for Specialist positions
Garden Specialist additional requirements:
- Knowledge of soil amendments, trees, shrubs, annuals, and/or perennials and their use in local conditions required.
- Education or previous work experience in horticulture, greenhouse, nursery, floral, and/or landscaping required.
Supervisory responsibilities: None
Work environment: This job operates in a retail environment with plants, chemicals, dirt and live animals. Work for most Sales Associates will be indoor; however, Garden Specialists will be required to spend most of the time in the summer in a greenhouse environment and must be willing to work in summer heat.
Physical demands: This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling and climbing all day. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items that weigh more than 50 pounds.
Position type and expected hours of work: This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work vary by schedule. Evening and weekend work may be required as schedule demands.
Travel: No travel required