The Retail Associate supports a number of areas including customer service, stocking merchandise, and assisting in the cashier area. This position is primarily responsible for the care of fish, birds, reptiles, rodents, etc. in our pet department. The successful candidate should have a passion for pets!
1. Create an environment that enables customers to feel welcome, important and appreciated by greeting and acknowledging every guest and answering questions regarding products.
2. Direct customers by escorting them to products; help customers make selections.
3. Accurately and efficiently complete all sales transactions including cash-handling and using POS registers.
4. Maintain cleanliness of all areas of the store including grounds and restrooms.
5. Assist with unloading trucks and processing freight.
6. Stock and organize merchandise as necessary.
7. Adhere to all company policies, procedures and practices, including signing, pricing, and loss prevention.
· Authentic desire to provide “service beyond customer’s expectations”
· Ability to manage multiple tasks
· High sense of urgency
· Ability to complete tasks in a timely manner with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
· Ability to conduct self in a professional and respectful manner with customers and employees
· Communication Skills: Effective written and verbal skills, ability to interpret instructional documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Mathematical Skills: Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Able to use a calculator.
· Schedule flexibility that includes evenings, weekends, and holidays
Live Animal Specialist:
Specializes in selling in the live animal department of Zamzow’s.
Requires the following additional job duties:
- Interact and connect with customers to provide the education needed for a lifetime of care for live animals sold at Zamzows
- Ensure that store animals, birds, reptiles and fish receive the highest quality care, are maintained in habitats that are clean, safe and secure and that all reasonable and required steps are taken to maintain their good health.
- Prepare diet and feed animals.
- Maintain a log of animal medication, treatment, and general well-being of all animals and fish. Alert store management immediately if any animal, reptile, bird or fish is abused, in need of medical attention or other special care.
- Maintain a current and accurate record of uses and losses with regard to pet supplies, live animals, fish, etc.
Preferred education and experience:
· High school diploma or equivalent preferred
· 1-2 years of customer service experience with POS and cash-handling experience preferred
Supervisory responsibilities: None
Work environment: This job operates in a retail environment with plants, chemicals, dirt and live animals. Work for most Retail Associates will be indoor; however, as necessary Retail Associates will be required to work in a greenhouse or outdoor environment and must be willing to work in summer heat.
Physical demands: This position involves constant moving and standing. Involves standing for at least two consecutive hours. Involves lifting at least 30 lbs. May occasionally involve reaching, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and climbing ladders. May involve reaching above eye level. Involves close vision, color vision, depth perception, and focus adjustment.
Position type and expected hours of work:
Must be flexible with scheduling and available to work retail hours, which may include day, evening, weekends, and/or holidays, based on department and store/company needs.